2008年10月28日星期二

英诗中译:The Rolling English Road 滚滚英伦路

The Rolling English Road
滚滚英伦路
G.K.Chesterton, 1894 – 1936
G.K.切斯特顿

Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode,
早在罗马人登陆拉伊之前并向塞文推进,
The rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road.
滚滚英伦路已然被那老酒鬼建成。
A reeling road, a rolling road, that rambles round the shire,
盘旋的路起伏的路环抱着赫里福德郡
And after him the parson ran, the sexton and the squire;
随后牧师、乡绅一应杂役们呵护精心;
A merry road, a mazy road, and such as we did tread
快乐的路迷宫般的路我们踏行。
The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head.
是夜去伯明翰我们经由比奇角。

I knew no harm of Bonaparte and plenty of the Squire,
对于波拿巴和侍从们我向无恶意,
And for to fight the Frenchman I did not much desire;
至于同法国人争斗亦非出自我的本意;
But I did bash their baggonets because they came arrayed
其结队而来浩浩荡荡我确实扯坏过他们的网袋
To straighten out the crooked road an English drunkard made,
只为了维护一个英国老酒鬼踩踏出的羊肠小路,
Where you and I went down the lane with ale-mugs in our hands,
你我都曾擎着啤酒杯在此漫步,
The night we went to Glastonbury by way of Goodwin Sands.
是夜去格拉斯顿伯里我们经由古德温暗沙。

His sins they were forgiven him; or why do flowers run
他们原谅了他的无礼因为鲜花在其身后绽放;
Behind him; and the hedges all strengthening in the sun?
还有阳光下那层层加固的篱笆墙。
The wild thing went from left to right and knew not which was which,
野兽们不明就里左突右冲,
But the wild rose was above him when they found him in the ditch.
惟有那野玫瑰花儿在他们在壕沟中发现他的时候在头上迎风招展。
God pardon us, nor harden us; we did not see so clear
上帝宽恕我们,软化我们的心肠;我们不愿相信眼前的景象
The night we went to Bannockburn by way of Brighton Pier.
是夜去班诺克本我们经由不赖顿码头。
My friends, we will not go again or ape an ancient rage,Or stretch the folly of our youth to be the shame of age,But walk with clearer eyes and ears this path that wandereth,And see undrugged in evening light the decent inn of death;For there is good news yet to hear and fine things to be seen,Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green.

Translated by Qirobin
Collated by Lizhaozhong (06/05/16)

没有评论: